So… a short time ago we revealed in a post about “our goals for 2023” how incredibly stressful this past year has been for us. But here’s the deal… what I totally underestimated about long-term stress is how terribly debilitating it can be on the body AND the mind. And unfortunately I’m now more painfully aware that I am absolutely NOT the only person dealing with this kind of discouragement over situations they have little control over.
But then something very nice happened!
A person I barely know sent me some very simple and sage advice at a particularly low moment and for me its made a good deal of difference so I thought it was worth sharing here. (Thanks Margie!)
- Let it go: Never ruin a good day thinking about a bad yesterday
- It’s important to listen: But not to everyone. There are some you should ignore..
- Give it time: Time heals everything.
- Stay calm: It’s OK to not have everything figured out. Know that in time you’ll get there.
- It’s on YOU: Only YOU are in charge of your happiness.
- Smile: Life is short. Enjoy it while you can.
But here’s the deal… even though the situation within our family is volatile and has not improved at all, when I recently came to the reluctant decision that I’d done everything I could to improve that situation and in order to priortize my own health it was time to place some physical & emotional distance between myself and the conditions that were out of my control, I found that my outlook changed some for the better. And that alone has been a very helpful change for me.
I would be remiss at this moment if I did not mention how encouraging it was for me to see so many positive comments on that post so thank you for your kindness.
What Wonderful Advice! Ditto the thanks to Margie and to you for this post. I’m saving these.
Thanks for commenting MaryB. Hope all is well with you! 🙂